Monday, August 10, 2009

Big turnout of Fish

I always wonder, before arriving, at my fish meeting place about who will be there and how will the contact go. Today as I arrived I noticed a number of fish swimming around. Upon getting about on the edge of the bank, the largest brown trout, immediately swimms over and makes eye contact. There has been a lot of eye contact over the entire summer and all the years I have been doing this. In the past when I got in the water I could then become face to face with my wild fish friends underwater.

So we make eye contact a few times and the BT brown trout then chases off any other fish that might lingering near by. It eventually swimms back over to me and we hold eyes for a minutes or so. I decide to chip off a piece of the trees bark nearby and see if the fish goes after it and it doesn't. I am surprised doesn't acknowledge it for more than a second and knows I guess I took it off the tree. So it's not as greedy for food as I thought .

Now this trout in big and I am quite proud to say that even though it was late coming to our meeting point, it must be one of the ones I had been feeding the past two entire summers. Daily for 6 weeks just about. What is amazing is that, this 15 inch fish allows me the most touch and foundling of the lot. Does it understand that getting close to me and dominating the pond it will get more food ? perhaps so I like to reward a good fondling. So this fish which is a more mature fish must be one of the ones I fed over the last 3 years as I said. When I go to where I actually pet these fish its laying down on a large rock . Where I lay makes a nice little cove of arms length water and a cave under the rock. So I lay down and at this point first thing I do is put my arm in the pond and wiggle a finger of come on over. In the early days they would mistake my extended index finger for one of the Pork sausages. They would come over and give it a bite. No let me start over, when the realized it might be that special time in their lives, eating sausage, when the saw my extended finger thay would strike at an enormous speed and then upon biting would splash and go back in the opposite direction with tremendous force. It really would shock in the early days. You almost had a heart attack it was so precision and acrobatic. So I had to get through that period of the viscious full out attack. The bite though was surprisingly mild, Not as bad as one would think. bearable actually.
So what happened is that the small bass by comparison learned quicker that they were allowed a gentle bite as they demonstrated. The small lake bass has a very large mouth but still does not strike like a trout. So the trouts over time saw that this little guy was getting all the good stuff because I started to pull the sausage away over time. It started to see and understand that only gently swimming to the food and allowing my finger to touch them was the way to go.

This systematic approach to conducting myself with the fish at the beginning proved to be the method worked at all three of my fish ponds. Eventually the biggest fish will understand the rules and then allow lots of touch and tickling in order to get it sausage. Oh yeah today I tried some plain ham besides sausage and they liked that.

So today i put my hand in the water and my BT comes over and allows me to touch it under the chin. Just stays there and allows me to eventually rub the bottom of it's belly. This is so cool, I am addicted to our relationship. In exchange I try to broadcast images as pictures using the waters conducting ability because I also believe in Dr Rupert Sheldrake, theory about animal Morphic Resonance. http://www.sheldrake.org/homepage.html I want our exchange to be as good as it could possibly be.

The surprising finding I have made that over time , when I arrive I want them all to swimm over to me so we can catch each others eyes. Then I shall put my hand in the water and when they come over I touch them. They are allowing this but still a little unsatisfied. It only when I reach behind me and open the big white platic bag that sparkles do they start to show real enthusiasm. They understand that the sausage comes from this shiny bright bag and then into the water. I have noticed wthis with two sets of fish in two different places 100 km apart. They know the sausage only also comes out of the clear glad bag too. It at this point they will swimm right up to me.

So today it started with about 3 large brown trout two medium sea green trout 2 bass and a sun fish. Others too showed up seemed the entire communitiy was here today. Except for the two carp they are not around today. I bang some rocks and then start to let them feed on one sausage. It's good today all 4 large fish come over and kindly bite off the part of the exposed sausage. Its good everyone large got a few good bites each. The surprising thing is that when the food is over and I am just relaxing with my arm in the water not thinking of anything but how totally beautiful this spot is. Like a Monet painting for sure. And then I get a good bite in the finger exactly where this fish always gives me the bite in the same spot. Ouch and I forget it then a little while later another bite exactly on the same place on my index finger.This time the fish has managed to break skin. it's like it's saying OK we let you touch us and fondle with your hearts content and I want some more sausage so get out of your days and get on with business. They also seem to know how much food I usually bring. So they know there is three sausages. Occasionally I have noticed some of the other fish sneak towards my hand and try to grab the sausage from the back and they manage to snag the whole sausage. This also occurs from the front even though I am holding on quite nicely, that during your time there if you take you mind off the sausage, they will strike and get it away from you. Like I have been there offering the sausage, a lifeguard comes by and calls what are you doing there ? You turn your focus away to respond and the fish then snags the whole sausage.

I do this so much that I do space out occasionally and it makes it a bit sad that some fish will not get a good snack.

So then after feeding them a sausage and ham today the carp come back and join the party. These are large Carp about 17 inches long and have golden large scales. They are graceful slow swimmers and have a bit of a mustache. I can tell them apart totally.The large one has been very shy and today actually allows me a good feel down her side. The other one freaks out when it gets touched as well and makes for a spectacular exit by splashing the water and twisting about. I get three good feels of the large carp today and I spread the entire sausage out after squishing up into small bit so everyone gets some. My little cove is now at this point filled this about a dozen fish. The large BT doesn't ever act aggressive towards the Carp which is much bigger. Only it's own kind and smaller Sunfish and Bass.

I wondered if this was a method Jesus Christ might have employed when he got all the fish from the Sea. I could easily fish these all out with a net in the midst of todays feeding frenzy. Then you stick you arm into it and feel all these furtive bodies I wonder if my arm feels warm to their skin. I cannot tell. I remember though Up in Val David the Lake bass would actually allow me to cupple them in my hands and they would stay there as if in a warm bath. I would love to achieve this this summer as well.

This summer I have lost my access to the places I carried this out over 9 years now. Yes at Lac Dore I maintained a good friendship after being turned on to the fish by my friend Liz Edwards. She and then Larry Demeures who said a large fish would come back and hang out under his warf and seemed quite comfortable there. it was here last summer that I came every three or 5 days and the largest fish always came back which I recognized from a scar it had in it's back. At the end of Oct I couldn't make contact this summer he never came around I think he's been caught and eaten.

So in the end I had a very sore finger and a BT who wanted all of my attention and sausage. it also really tries to keep the others away from me except for the Carp who are bottom feeders. They have lovely full pink lips.

No comments:

Post a Comment